1: What is CATI ProTS Sample?
ProTS® CATI (Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing) mode utilizes a ProTS® dialer connected to your server to manage the dialing, disposition of sample and connections to your interviewers.
ProTS® supports two modes:
- Predictive Mode to deliver optimal dialing performance with minimal abandonment rate
- Power Mode: a 1 to 1 dialing mode where there will always be an interviewer available to answer
We offer built-in integration for ProTS® customers. Click here to find out more about ProTS®.
1.1: Enabling CATI ProTS Sample for Your Company
Currently, your company must have a Decipher Cloud account to enable CATI sample on your own. Click here for instructions. You must also be a ProTS® customer.
If you do not have a Decipher Cloud account, contact your Account Manager to have CATI sample enabled for your company.
2: Adding CATI ProTS Sample
To add a sample source, click on the sample element in the question tree and select "Add New Sample Source."
In the "Sample Sources" window, select the "CATI (ProTS)" sample sources and click "Insert".
Next, setup the CATI ProTS sample following the steps below.
2.1: Intro Script
The introduction script is read by the interviewers to each contact they call before beginning the survey. Enter this script in the "Intro Script" field.
2.2: CATI Files
2.2.1: Phone List
The phone list file must be in an Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) and contain the following column headers:
- The first column header must be titled phonenumber, and contain 10-digit phone numbers of the recipients (mandatory)
- The second column must be titled name, and contain the names of the recipients (mandatory)
- The third column and beyond may be used to append filter criteria. E.g., demographic information like zipcode, gender, etc. (optional)
- Note: When applying a filter in the CATI management console, keep in mind that the values are case-sensitive
Select "+Upload Phone List" to upload your list of telephone interview respondents.
Tip: If you want to add new respondents, simply upload a new file and the system will update your list.
2.2.2: Interviewers / Stations
The interviewer file must be in an Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) and contain the following column headers:
- The first column header must be titled interviewers, and contain the alpha-numeric code assigned to your interviewers (i.e., the Interviewer ID)
- The second column must be titled stations, and contain the alpha-numeric station code
The interviewers and stations listed in your file must be a subset of the files applied for your company. Click here for information about the company files.
Select "+Upload Stations / Interviewers" to upload your file.
2.3: URL Variables
The counts for these variables are pulled from the CATI files that were uploaded.
- phoneNumber: Displays the total number of phone numbers in the list.
- Remove Sample: Click this link to remove the entire phone list that was uploaded.
- stationID: Displays the total number of (unique) stations assigned to the project.
- interviewerID: Displays the total number of interviewers assigned to the project.
2.4: Exit Pages
The exit pages are laid out for you to configure for terminated, over-quota and qualified respondents. Simply select "Message" to show the respondent a message at the end of the survey, or choose "Redirect" and enter the URL in the field provided.
You also have the ability to add a custom exit page and define the logic condition for it. Click here to learn more.
2.5: ProTS Settings
- Dial Mode:
- Predictive Dial Mode: Several numbers are dialed simultaneously, based on available interviewers and the abandonment rate. This mode maximizes the interviewer talk time and minimizes potential abandonment by utilizing a standard line ratio of 1:5:1. This ratio is dynamically adjusted on a study-by-study basis by ProTS to deliver optimum dialing performance.
- Power Dial Mode: Dials the respondent's number and places the call into a queue that pairs it with the next available interviewer, ensuring that an interviewer is available to handle the call.
- Contact Hours: Set the time frame in which the dialer may make calls to respondents. The time zone is set for the interviewer's local time and adjusted to the respondent's time zone.
- Number of Rings: Set the maximum number of rings before a disposition is logged for the respondent (i.e., "No Answer").
- Number of Attempts: Set the maximum number of attempts that may be made to contact a potential respondent before a disqualification disposition is logged.
- Abandonment Rate: (Only available with the Predictive Dial Mode)
Set the acceptable rate at which otherwise connected calls will be dropped due to an interviewer not being available. If set to 0, no calls will be abandoned (i.e., 1 in 10,000, or 0.01% abandonment rate).
- The abandonment rate is calculated as the value/1,000. For example, a value of 20 means 20 in 1,000 calls may be abandoned, making it a 2% abandonment rate.
- Recording Settings: Choose whether to record the calls or not. If enabled, use the start/stop settings to specify what section of the survey to record.
- Off: The dialer will not record any part of the interview.
- On: The dialer will record the interview according to the selected start and stop settings.
- Start: Select when the recording will begin, i.e., at the beginning of the survey or a specific question.
- Stop: Select when the recording will end, i.e., at the end of the survey or a specific question.
- Redial Delay: Set the amount of time, in minutes, before an attempt to redial may be made when a disposition of "No Answer", "Answering machine detected", "Busy" or "Circuit busy signal" is logged.
- Job Code: The job code is used for telephone billing.
- No Job Code: No job code added to the dialed numbers.
- Prefix: Adds the job code before the respondent's phone number.
- Suffix: Adds the job code after the respondent's phone number.
- Caller ID: Enter the number that will be shown on the respondent's phone when they receive the call.
3: CATI Comment Element
Once the CATI Sample is setup, add the CATI Comment Element to your survey to provide instructions to your interviewers.
3.1: Sending the Survey to Your Interviewers
After the survey has been built, tested and launched (i.e., set live), you may distribute the URL to your interviewers. To access the URL, locate the project in the Research Hub and click on the project controls. Then select "CATI Mode".
This opens a new tab with the login screen. Copy the entire URL.
Send the URL along with login instructions (click here to download) to each of your interviewers.
Interviewers are told to contact their Project Supervisor for assistance with problems.
Login problems may be due to:
- The Interviewer simply forgot their ID or station ID
- Their ID wasn't in the "Interviewer/Station" file that was uploaded in the survey builder
An interviewer cannot find the correct project in the dropdown menu:
- Check that the survey was set LIVE. All projects assigned to an interviewer ID with CATI sample that have been launched will appear in the dropdown menu.
3.2: CATI ProTS Management Console
Manage your settings, sample and interviewers once the survey is live in the CATI management console.