The audio testimonial element is currently only available when conducting an offline survey via the Decipher CAPI app.
The audio testimonial element utilizes an essay form without the traditional answer options, instead allowing a respondent to provide feedback to a question via an audio recording. Through the audio testimonial, the true voice of the respondent is captured.
1: Adding an Audio Testimonial Element
You can set the "Show" filter to display only elements that are compatible or optimized for the devices allowed for your project. Click here to learn how to how verify your project settings.
To insert the audio testimonial element, add a new survey element, select "Multimedia" and choose "Audio Testimonial". Then click "Insert":
Enter the question text into the area provided. Customize the question text and instructions, as desired:
2: Style Settings
To configure the style settings for the question, click the "Audio Testimonial" Style link:
The "Style Editor" window opens for you to specify how the question displays using the options at the left. Mouse-over an option to display information about the feature at the right. After you have selected the styles you want, click "Save and Close ":
3: Question Options
The options available are located on the right side of the screen. Any options you set apply only to the audio testimonial question:
- Label: The label assigned to the element. You may edit the default label for the audio testimonial element here.
- Type: Displays the element type.
- Show If: Allows you to create new logic conditions or select an existing logic condition for the element. For more information, click here.
- Languages: Select the languages that display if the survey has multiple languages. The default is "all languages".
- Mandatory: When checked, this option forces respondents to provide a response. The respondent is unable to continue the survey without completing the question.
- More Options: Use the dropdown menu to select less commonly used options. Once selected, you are able to specify the setting for that option. For more information on each option, click here.
- Raw Options: If you prefer to manually enter the XML options, use the "raw options" dialog. This is useful for copying and pasting options between survey elements.
Learn more: Customizing the Audio Testimonial Element
4: Recording an Audio Testimonial
While taking the survey, an audio testimonial question opens to the respondent as shown:
Clicking the microphone icon will enable the respondent to start recording. Once done, they can stop the recording and click "Continue" to submit it. The respondent can also click to skip the question, if needed. This is a default setting available in style settings.
Audio testimonial data is only uploaded once the user has connected to the internet. Until then, data is stored on the device.
You can use Crosstabs to retrieve audio testimonials and to filter the audio files by the segments that you have defined.
5.1: Retrieving the Audio Testimonials
Below shows the audio testimonial question in a total frequency report:
From Crosstabs, you can:
- Play back the testimonials.
- Mark a testimonial as a favorite. Favorites are used for filtering in the Dynamic Questions chart.
- View the Responses report to see all of the selected respondent's survey answers.
- Download the testimonial to your device in .mp4 format.
Learn more: Running a Total Crosstab